TalkSpace vs Headspace vs Betterhelp
We write our honest reviews but we may receive compensation from the below providers if you purchase products or services through the links provided. Read more here
We’re living in an age where every human need can be fulfilled virtually through a digital transaction or interaction. In this age, it is not surprising that online mental services are gaining popularity.
The increased popularity of these services has given ways for several companies to dominate the space, offering customers affordable options for virtual therapy. Three of the leading platforms, who share most of the market and have the best reputation are Talkspace, Headspace, and BetterHelp.
These three providers have much in common as they offer the same solution. However, one cannot ignore the areas of differentiation that impact their customers’ overall experience. While individual preferences certainly play an essential role in determining which platform is better, several factors tend to be objectives, such as value, convenience, and price.
Below we will explore these three tools and their pros and cons to help users navigate these differences to help them decide between the three services based on their individual needs.
Talkspace is one of the credible online therapy service providers in the current virtual mental health landscape. Talkspace was founded in 2012. It matches users with a licensed therapist with whom they can communicate via audio, video, or text messages.
Talkspace offers affordable subscription plans, and payments can be made monthly, quarterly, or annually. For example, if you want to choose Talk space’s monthly package, it will cost you $26, $708 for a quarter, or $1248 twice a year. Talkspace allows you to connect with your therapist five days a week via audio, video, or text messaging with this particular service. Besides, it also partners with some health insurance carriers, so consult your benefits and coverage if you’re interested in these services.
In the beginning, you undergo an assessment with a therapist, which helps Talkspace; this helps Talkspace determine how to best match you with your licensed, dedicated therapist. After the assessment, you choose the plan that works for you, and you will be assigned to your therapist. The messaging platform of Talkspace is open any time of day or night, so you can chat with your therapist privately whenever you need to, and you can expect a response once or twice per day.
Talkspace also offers features of video conferencing, which means 65 can schedule video conferences which costs $65 for every half-hour video chat.
- In online therapy, one can’t predict when they will genuinely need a conversation with their therapist. For that reason, Talkspace provides 24-hour access seven days a week, so clients can access it whenever they need it.
- The client won’t have to pay extra if they find that their connection isn’t working and want to switch to another therapist.
- Several plans are offered by Talkspace that fit a wide range of budgets.
- It also specialized in treating teens or couples.
- Therapy over the phone is not as effective as in-person therapy because many behavioral changes can be missed, which are noticeable in person.
- As we know that humans are nuanced creatures, and virtual diagnosing may prove to be a difficulty for some severe mental health disorders.
Headspace is a California-based startup that was founded in 2010. It is an events company specializing in mindfulness and meditation. They launched an app in 2012, which is available for download on App Store and Google Play, or you can also create an account online and log in on your computer.
Headspace offers a wide range of meditation and mindfulness courses, from morning meditation to stories and music for sleep to 15-minutes stress release workouts. You can avail Headspace plus plan free for the first two weeks if you choose the annual subscription, which is $69.99 per year. It also offers a monthly subscription plan, which is $12.99 per month, and enjoy the first week on the plan for free.
Last year, Headspace made its app free for healthcare workers and those who have lost their jobs due to the COVID-19 pandemic. They were allowed to use the app free of charge for 12 months.
- Headspace offers users a world of convenience, which means it can be done for minutes at a time. Perhaps you are sitting in your car in the driveway, arrived five minutes early, or you are about to make a significant decision. You only have to pull out your phone and allow yourself that brief but meaningful escapism.
- Headspace allows users to find something specific to their current needs by covering a wide range of topics.
- Headspace focuses on subjects like mindful eating, how to sleep better, and more.
- The free meditations tend to be shorter in length and are limited, so more likely you’ll soon want to upgrade.
- Headspace can be an excellent supplement to your regular mental health routine, but people with severe disorders will need something besides the app.
BetterHelp is one of the leading online counseling platforms. It offers counseling sessions for teens, adults, and couples. Monthly memberships for sessions are available, costing from $60 to $100 each week. Counselors at BetterHelp are licensed and credentialed professionals and include accredited psychologists, social workers, and licensed professional counselors.
After signing up for the BetterHelp platform, you’ll be assigned a counselor based on your specific needs. It allows you to message your counselor at any time using a mobile device. Besides online messaging, you can communicate with your counselor via video, phone, or live chat, depending on your preference. BetterHelp’s app is available on both Google Play and the Apple Store.
- BetterHelp provides several ways for their clients to connect with their therapists. A client can communicate over the phone, through video, through messaging or chat options. This helps you choose a preference that’s most suitable for you.
- It does not require the use of appointments. Clients can message their therapist anytime and from there schedule a live session at the next possible moment.
- While there is no appointment concept, that doesn’t mean there’s a specific time when you’ll hear back.
- Although it allows users to switch therapists if they find their match doesn’t fit, it encourages clients not to choose their own.
- The cost of BetterHelp is almost the same as a traditional in-person therapist.
Having more than one option is good. It allows you to work with apps individually or use two or more in tandem. For every person, the experience is different. Perhaps you enjoy using Talkspace to speak with a therapist, followed by a guided meditation on Headspace. Or, maybe you are big fond of BetterHelp, and it’s enough for you.
Remember that online therapy can be helpful and beneficial, but it’s not right for every mental health situation. Almost all online therapy platforms, including Talkspace, Headspace, and BetterHelp, state clearly that these platforms aren’t the best source for emergency help. If you have thought about harming yourself or someone else, you should contact the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline.
Many online platforms are also not designed to provide services to children. However, Talkspace does offer counseling sessions to teenagers with parental consent, and BetterHelp provides teen counseling through its affiliate site, TeenCounseling.