With over 10% of people in the United States dealing with a substance abuse disorder annually, the need for professional addiction treatment has never been so great. Anyone can experience a drug abuse problem regardless of their background, age, or history.
Online addiction therapy can deliver support and effective treatment to help anyone struggling with drugs and alcohol to overcome these addictions.
What Is It?
There are different types of counseling, depending on the specific What is addiction counseling? It involves working with a licensed therapist to overcome an addiction. In general, you can choose individual or group therapy sessions or support groups. The substance abuse counselor’s work may also include behavioral therapy and relapse prevention.
Who Is It for?
No one dreams of becoming dependent on drugs or alcohol, but many find themselves in this position today through a combination of factors. Online substance abuse counseling can help anyone who feels that they have lost control of their lives. Over-the-counter medicines, prescription drugs, street drugs, and alcohol can lead to tremendous damage, pain, and broken relationships when addiction forms. Regardless of a person’s age, history, and cultural background, addiction counseling can help.
When Should I Start?
If you are a drug or alcohol user and feel that you might have a substance abuse disorder or drug addiction, it could be time to consider substance abuse treatment. Addiction has the potential to take over someone’s life and cause a lot of damage.
Drug users can start depending on their substance to make them feel okay and give them euphoria. They may soon find it difficult to go without and may experience negative withdrawal effects when trying to do this. Many factors can contribute towards addiction, including mental health challenges, higher susceptibility to substance abuse, lack of a support system, stressful life events, and poor coping mechanisms.
There are several telltale signs of addiction that you can notice in yourself or a loved one. Some of the main indicators of a substance abuse disorder are the following:
- There is an intense preoccupation with using and sourcing drugs or alcohol. Much time and money may be dedicated to these activities.
- There is a gradual loss of control. The user finds it difficult to say no or enough to drugs and alcohol, and they soon feel that they are no longer calling the shots in their own life.
- Whenever individuals are forced to go without the substance or attempts to stop independently, they experience withdrawal symptoms. These can be in the form of insomnia, restlessness, anxiety, and lost appetite.
- Many people facing substance may start to distance themselves from their family members and friends. This can be done to hide their addiction, use, and spend time with new connections who might also be users.
- It is common for users to start to neglect responsibilities to indulge in drugs and alcohol. As a result, work, studies, and other responsibilities can suffer, often with serious consequences.
- Although the user may continue using regularly, there is often guilt or shame because of their addiction.
Benefits of Online Addiction Counseling
There are different types of addiction counseling available. Although the approaches may be different, the end goal is the same—freedom from substance abuse. Here are some specific benefits:
- Substance abuse counselors can help you address your coping mechanisms in the face of life challenges and stressful situations.
- Online counseling is affordable, convenient, and very easy to access with a stable internet connection.
- Addiction counseling is a safe space, to be honest about your struggles.
- Counselors can help you not only quit using but chart out a plan for your life.
Online vs. In-Person
There are advantages of online and in-person counseling. With online counseling, you can get help from the convenience of your home. You don’t have to trouble anywhere. Another benefit is access to a larger pool of counselors. It is also more affordable. The main advantage of in-person counseling is the ability to form a personal connection.
How Does Online Addiction Counseling Work?
To sign up for an online addiction counseling service, you must first fill out a questionnaire with some personal information. This gives the service an idea of the help you need and how best to match you with a counselor. Once you are matched, you can schedule therapy sessions online or over the phone.
How to Choose the Best Online Addiction Counselor
Finding the best online addiction counselor can seem challenging, but the good news is that there are so many great options. Many people facing substance abuse are connecting with addiction counselors every day through a range of platforms. You can peruse each website to learn more about the services they offer, their counselors’ experience and licensing, and the signup process. Recommendations and reviews are two other useful tools to find a great online counselor.
An online counseling service can help anyone who is struggling with addiction. Admitting that you need help is not easy, but it is the important first step to getting your life back on track. Through various treatment programs and approaches, you can recover from a substance abuse disorder.