All human beings have control over some aspect of their bodies, like raising their hand when waving to someone.
On the other hand, there are some things that are uncontrollable, such as heart rate or blood pressure, which are under the control of the neurological system.
However, there is a technique known as biofeedback that can help people acquire more control over these generally uncontrollable functions. Biofeedback is a brain-body approach that teaches people how to control biological functions that were previously considered involuntary.
If this introduction piques your interest, continue reading to learn everything there is to know about online biofeedback therapy, as well as where to find the best biofeedback therapy online.
What is Biofeedback Therapy?
Biofeedback is an approach that helps people control what seems to be uncontrollable.
It teaches people how to control biological functions such as heart rate, blood pressure, and body temperature – reflexes that were previously assumed involuntary.
According to research from 2009, biofeedback therapy has been shown to be useful in the treatment of a variety of medical disorders – migraine, high blood pressure, headaches, and incontinence, to name a few.
Biofeedback has the potential to alleviate negative symptoms and dramatically improve one’s quality of life without posing any serious risks or side effects. The concept behind biofeedback is that people may acquire more control over their health by harnessing the power of their minds.
The following are some of the functions that people can learn to control:
- Perception of pain
- Tension in the muscles
- Heart rate
- Blood flow
Although biofeedback therapy is more of a training method than a treatment, it can be incorporated into one’s entire treatment strategy.
It has been shown to be useful in the treatment of a variety of disorders, including anxiety, epilepsy, hypertension, insomnia, ADHD, and much more. The effects of biofeedback differ from person to person, but when paired up with physical therapy, like CBT, or other relaxation techniques, positive results are expected.
Biofeedback Therapy Online: How Does It Work?
The procedure of biofeedback therapy is simple, but the outcomes are remarkable. During biofeedback therapy, electrodes are applied to one’s skin.
These electrons send a signal to a monitor which shows an image or a sound representing the heart rate, perspiration, blood pressure, or even breathing rate.
Every single alteration that people’s bodies do when it is one’s stress levels is displayed on a monitor – their heart rate increases, their muscles tense, and their blood pressure rises.
People can watch these stress responses unfold on the monitor and receive immediate feedback as they attempt to control them. Following that, a biofeedback therapist guides patients through relaxation exercises that they can fine-tune to control various body functions.
Types of Biofeedback Therapy
Biofeedback comes in a variety of forms. What method will be used mainly depends on the patient’s goals.The following are the various types of biofeedback therapy:
- Heart Rate Biofeedback investigates heart rate variability, which could be beneficial for a variety of illnesses such as depression or asthma.
- Respiratory Biofeedback teaches more effective breathing control, which can benefit in managing conditions such as anxiety.
- Blood Pressure Biofeedback measures blood pressure, which may be helpful in the treatment of various underlying diseases.
- EEG Biofeedback measures brain wave activity and is sometimes used to treat depression, addiction, or ADHD.
- Galvanic Skin Response It entails determining the amount of sweat on the skin’s surface, useful for monitoring anxiety levels.
- Thermal Biofeedback measures body temperature during and after stressful situations.
- Electromyography monitors electrical activity that causes muscular contractions to identify variations in muscle tension over time.
What Are the Benefits of Biofeedback?
Biofeedback is a potent tool for stress management and addressing various physical and emotional challenges. It presents several advantages over other therapeutic approaches.
- Biofeedback doesn’t depend on medication. This therapy doesn’t involve the use of drugs, making it compatible with other medical or alternative treatments, offering flexibility to individuals who prefer drug-free options.
- It comes with no side effects. Biofeedback is recognized as safe for individuals of all ages, posing no risks or adverse effects. It’s non-invasive, requiring only the placement of sensors on the body, which is painless and secure.
- Biofeedback is versatile, addressing a wide range of health and well-being concerns. It encompasses various techniques and methods tailored to individual goals, such as stress and anxiety management, ADHD management, athletic performance enhancement, chronic pain reduction, and more.
How to Find the Best Platforms for Biofeedback Therapy
Just like any other therapy, you should choose a biofeedback platform that is right for you.
To find a decent platform, all you have to do is look for one that provides a therapist with the ideal blend of honesty, compassion, and professional experience in the field.
The ideal person to find is a licensed biofeedback technician who can help with the treatment. A licensed mental health professional, on the other hand, can deliver biofeedback therapy if it’s in their field of expertise.
Biofeedback therapy might be more expensive than other types of therapy since it involves specific equipment.
Overall, finding a biofeedback expert who provides low-cost therapy would be the ideal platform.
Can I Do Biofeedback at Home?
Engaging in biofeedback therapy from the comfort of your home has become increasingly feasible due to technological advances in personal devices. Unlike traditional biofeedback, which typically required specialized equipment in clinical settings, at-home biofeedback options have become more accessible.
These at-home biofeedback devices can serve as valuable tools for addressing various medical conditions. Since biofeedback is safe and free of side effects, it can complement other medical treatments, such as prescription medications. These devices are applicable for conditions such as blood pressure management, muscle rehabilitation post-injury, epilepsy, asthma, heart arrhythmia, and more.
Depending on the specific at-home biofeedback device and the treatment objective, several physiological markers can be measured and monitored during a session. These markers include heart rate, muscle contractions, galvanic sweat response, breathing rate, and body temperature.
Moreover, at-home biofeedback training extends its benefits to managing an array of mental and emotional challenges, including stress, anxiety, chronic pain, insomnia, ADHD, and more.
But, is biofeedback therapy effective for anxiety?
What to Consider Before You Buy a Biofeedback Device
Before you decide to purchase an at-home biofeedback device, it’s essential to take several factors into account:
- Define Your Goals: The choice of the right at-home biofeedback device largely hinges on your specific objectives. Are you seeking relief from anxiety or stress? Do you need help with pain management? Are you looking to enhance your meditation practice or improve your concentration? Each device may cater to different purposes, so having a clear understanding of your goals is crucial.
- Ease of Use: Opt for a device that is user-friendly and seamlessly integrates into your daily life and routine. For instance, the Reflect Orb is exceptionally straightforward to use; you just place your hands on it to start gathering biofeedback. This simplicity ensures that incorporating biofeedback into your routine is convenient and sustainable.
- Cost vs. Functionality: Not all at-home biofeedback devices offer the same features and capabilities. It’s important to conduct some research and scrutinize the device’s claims before making a purchase. You don’t want to invest in a device that doesn’t align with your needs, as it may not have the necessary functions to help you achieve your desired outcomes. Therefore, strike a balance between the device’s cost and its functionality to ensure you make a worthwhile investment.
The Best Biofeedback Therapy Online: Final Verdict
Biofeedback has proven to make the impossible attainable by managing the uncontrollable. It teaches people how to control involuntary bodily functions.
People can learn to relax their bodies and minds and deal better with stress symptoms by employing biofeedback to regulate the impacts of stress. Heart rate, blood pressure, pain perception, and other processes are among the functions that humans can learn to control.
In order to find the best biofeedback therapy, it would be ideal to get a certified therapist who offers inexpensive prices. Biofeedback treatment is one of the greatest alternative therapies for persons with ADHD, pain, anxiety, and stress-related issues, among other things.
Overall, biofeedback therapy is one of the most effective therapies available today, and the effects can be astounding when paired with other treatments.
The time has come to take charge of your health, reach the pinnacle of your performance, and rid yourself of pathological states and diseases!
- Understanding the Mental Health Impact of the Israel-Gaza War - November 13, 2023
- Best Biofeedback Devices, Apps, and Therapy Platforms for Stress Management in 2024 - November 11, 2023
- Discover the Power of Biofeedback with the Reflect Orb - November 10, 2023